While we typically think of polka dots in candy color spring and summer pastels and stripes can harken to the days of Audrey in her summer boat neck sweater – these two prints are easily translated to fall fashions. It may seem obvious but truly the trick is to move into the next season gracefully – taking color and pattern into account. This fall, fashion goes for stripes, dots and stunning graphic prints – they are everywhere from ready-to-wear to accessories.
1) News flash – what’s black and white and red all over…stripes! Break the story in big, thick magic marker prints.
2) Stroke of genius – horizontal and vertical are certainly still on trend but a stripe can take the form of chevron or zebra – rock this out in unexpected color combinations – just by removing white as the base color you transpose the look for fall.
3) Dot, dot, dot – don’t think Julia at the polo match in the ubiquitous brown and white dress – switch up the polka dot in contrasting hues – here again when white is extracted from the palette in polka dots you’ve opened the door to this pattern’s wear-ability in the cooler seasons.
4) Spot on – polka dots do not have to be an all-over pattern – try a solid sweater with a smattering of dots – groupings of three will make your point.
5) Circle up – try the polka dot trend in an outerwear piece – what better to brighten a gray day than a swing trench featuring droplets of color.
There you have it – stripes and polka dots aren’t going anywhere because they are classic – so just like you no longer pack away your white jeans when the clock strikes midnight on labor day – with the right cut, color and pattern configuration you can wear these timeless prints year-round.